Before you get started, you’ll need to make sure you have everything you need to start building your beehive. Here’s a list of the essentials.
- The beehive. The most essential part of a beehive, aside from the bees, of course, is the hive. As you’re starting a beehive at home, you won’t need to buy anything too expensive or overcomplicated. At Buzzbee, we have a range of beehives perfect for keepers of all levels of expertise. From a simple Buzzbee Mason Hive for Native Bees to a High-Quality Buzzbee Langstroth Beehive, we’ve got it all.
- A beekeeper starter kit. The Buzzbee Beekeeping Starter Accessories Kits have everything you need to get started, including a bee brush, hive tools, a bee smoker, a queen catcher, bee feeders, and a queen excluder. We have a kit to suit every budget.
- A queen bee. If you need a queen to start your hive, Buzzbee has queens available for sale.
- Bee feed. You’ll need to have some bee feed to put in your bee feeder to keep your hive happy and healthy.
- Pest control equipment. Ideally, you’ll want to keep ants, wasps, and other pests away from your hive, so it’s important to invest in the right pest control equipment. If you’re unsure of what to buy, don’t hesitate to have a chat with the Buzzbee team.
A few frequently asked questions on beehive building
As beekeeping experts, the team at Buzzbee hear a lot of great questions from people starting a beehive at home. We’ve answered some of the most common questions right here.
If you’ve got space, you can start a beehive. Many people with a bit of room in their backyards start beekeeping in their spare time. So whether you set up a hive for honey bees or create a space for native bees to flourish, you can do it all from your backyard.
It really depends on how big and elaborate you’d like your hive to be. If you don’t want to spend lots of money, you can invest in a small hive and the essentials with a starter kit from Buzzbee for less than $200. It’s really that easy.
At Buzzbee, we’re here to do so much more than provide the right beekeeping equipment and tools; we’re also here to support and serve beekeepers with the information they need to make the best decisions for their bees. We’re here to help you foster your passion for bees and thrive as a beekeeper. If you’re wondering how to start a beehive at home, Buzzbee has everything you need to get the ball rolling.